Local Filmmaker Nominated for Emmy

Matthew Buzzell nominated for Emmy Award
June 4, 2014 Kelly Jasper 1 Comment

Augusta, Ga. – Matthew Buzzell, Assistant Professor of Communications at Georgia Regents University, has been nominated for an Emmy Award for his work as a consulting producer on a recent feature-length documentary.

Not Yet Begun To Fight explores the therapeutic value of fly fishing for combat veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Buzzell’s contribution to the film earned him a nomination in the category of Topical Documentary. He also served as co-composer of the film’s score. Winners will be announced on Saturday, June 7, at the 2014 Northwest Emmy Awards Banquet in Seattle, Wa.

“It was an honor to receive this nomination, and an even greater honor to work on this film,” Buzzell said. “Not Yet Begun To Fight captures the struggle of so many veterans returning from war. It’s deeply moving to participate in a project dedicated to telling their stories.”

A winner at numerous film festivals, Not Yet Begun To Fight made its national broadcast premiere on PBS television in November 2013. Just weeks before his death, legendary film critic Roger Ebert gave the film “two thumbs up!” Not Yet Begun To Fightreceived a total of three nominations from the Northwest Chapter of The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences: Direction/Post-Production, Editing, and Topical Documentary.

Buzzell is co-chair of The Cinema Series at GRU and instructs students in the Television and Cinema track of the GRU Department of Communications. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drama from The University of the North Carolina School of the Arts and a Masters of Fine Arts in Directing from the American Film Institute. He has previously collaborated with a number of artists, including Sacha Baron Cohen, Diana Krall, Elvis Costello, Patti LaBelle, and Jimmy Scott.

For more information on Not Yet Begun To Fight, visit www.notyetbeguntofightfilm.com. For more information on The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, visit www.natasnw.org.


Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Exhibit Space

This is a call out to artists, craftspeople and collectors in the CSRA. Beginning July 1, the Georgia History and Genealogy Room at the Augusta Public Library will have exhibition space available. We are seeking interesting and unique materials for public display. If you are a collector of vintage memorabilia and ephemera, or a craftsperson seeking an exhibition space for your wares, we will consider giving you the opportunity to show off your work. The exhibit does not necessarily have to be related to local history or genealogy, but first priority will be given to those that do. Exhibits typically run for 8 weeks. Please contact Tina Monaco at 706.826.1511 for details, or email at genealogy@ecgrl.org.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Community Events

May 22, Th. – “Created Equal: America’s Civil Rights Struggle.” A film documentary of Richard and
Mildred Loving’s interracial marriage, which led to their arrest and a Supreme Court case in Virginia
in 1965. After the screening, a discussion will be facilitated by attorney William C. Coleman and GRU’s
Dr. Lee Ann Caldwell, director of the Center for the Study of Georgia History. It will be held at the
Augusta-Richmond County Public Library, first floor multi-purpose room, 6:30 to 8 p.m. For more
information, please call (706) 722-8454.

May 22, Th. – Historic Augusta’s Cotton Ball, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Dinner will be provided by Outback
Steakhouse. There will be a cash bar, mint juleps, music and an opportunity to mingle in a historic
setting. Admission to the Cotton Ball is by current, new or renewing membership in Historic Augusta,
Inc., which is open to all who are interested in preserving our city’s historic places. For more information,
call (706) 724-0436 or visit www.historicaugusta.org.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

GRU Event — Book Discussion Series on Civil War — 4/26/14

GRU University Libraries last meeting of the “Let’s Talk About It: Understanding the American Civil War” book discussion series will take place on April 26, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. on the second floor of the Summerville Campus Reese Library.

Participants can still check out book sets from Reese Library during normal operating hours. The last discussion again examines excerpts from America’s War edited by noted historian Edward Ayers. Created to support the Let’s Talk About It series, the selections in America’s War include works of historical fiction and interpretation, speeches, diaries, memoirs, biographies, and short stories. Together, these readings provide a glimpse of the vast sweep and profound breadth of Americans’ war among and against themselves, adding crucial voices to our understanding of the war and its meaning. Discussion will be led by GRU professor and head of History, Anthropology and Philosophy, Hubert van Tuyll. The list of readings from this volume can be found on the series website http://guides.gru.edu/LetsTalk.

All events for “Let’s Talk About It: Understanding the American Civil War” are free and open to the public. Funding to support this series is provided by the Georgia Humanities Council.

For more information, visit the GRU Libraries Presents “Let’s Talk About It: Making Sense of the American Civil War” web page at http://guides.gru.edu/LetsTalk

or send an e-mail to spcoll@gru.edu   or   call 706-667-4904.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Lucy Craft Laney

February 22 at 11:00 in the HQ Library Auditorium, Dr. Kent Leslie will present a program about Lucy Craft Laney. Dr. Leslie is finishing up a new book about Miss Laney. Please join us to learn about a person who continues to be so important to Augusta.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

The Augusta Museum of History Presents the Freedom Riders

A film that is part of Created Equal: America’s Civil Rights Struggle Film Series

Augusta, Georgia (2/14/14) –The first in the series that the Augusta Museum of History will be presenting is the film the Freedom Riders on February 20, 2014 in University Hall, Georgia Regents University Augusta campus. From May until November in 1961, 400 plus black and white Americans risked their lives and withstood beatings riding interstate transportation together through the Deep South. This was their non-violent activism for desegregation. Why did the “Freedom Riders” inspire so much hope and fear. What happened to them?

The film screening will be followed by a discussion facilitated by Mr. Clint Bryant, Georgia Regents University’s Director of Athletics. Dr. Lee Ann Caldwell, Georgia Regents University Historian and Director of the Center for Georgia Studies will be serving as Humanities Scholar.

The Augusta Museum of History is one of 473 institutions across the country awarded a set of four films chronicling the history of the Civil rights movement. The other powerful documentaries, The Abolitionists, Slavery by Another Name, and The Loving Story, include dramatic scenes of incidents in the 150-year effort to achieve equal rights for all.

Date: February 20, 2014

Time: 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Location: University Hall, Georgia Regents University, Summerville Campus, Room 170

Cost: FREE

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Discovering Dave: Spirit Captured in Clay

The third program in the Heritage Council of North Augusta’s Black History Series will be on Tuesday, February 18th. Join us as we present “Discovering Dave: Spirit Captured in Clay.” The remarkable slave potter “Dave” is featured in this film by filmmaker Mark Albertin and George “Buddy” Wingard. It will be shown at 2nd Providence Baptist Church, located at 1202 Old Edgefield Road in North Augusta, at 7:00 p.m.

This program is free to the public; for more information, please call Brenda Baratto at 803-270-9400.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Black History Month Events

The following is a list of Black History Month events sponsored and/or hosted by local organizations:

GRU will use the national theme for Black History Month which is “The Golden Jubilee:  Celebrating 50 years after the Civil Rights Movement.”  Various local events, non-GRU as well as GRU, include the following:

– The downtown public library at 823 Telfair St. will host the “Witness to the Holocaust Traveling Exhibit” Jan. 24 through Feb. 7.  It features photos by WWII vet William Alexander Scott III, son of the founder of the first black-owned daily paper in Atlanta, the Atlanta Daily World.  Scott III was also a photographer in a segregated battalion of the U.S. Army during the war.  His photo essay “draws parallels between the Jim Crow Laws and the Nuremberg Race Laws of 1935-1945 implemented in Germany and Nazi-controlled areas of Europe.”

– The Maxwell Branch Library at 1927 Lumpkin Rd. will host a talk on Jan. 30 Mon., 6-7 p.m.  Dr. Angela Bratton of GRU will talk about “Africa:  Diverse Ways of Defining Family and Marriage.”

Feb. 1 Sat. – Laney Craft Laney Museum Heritage Gala will be held at the Marriott downtown, 6-10 p.m.  There will be dinner, live music and a silent auction.  Keynote speaker will be Zena Howard, who is experienced with working with libraries, museum and cultural facilities, public and private institutions, etc.  Tickets $75/person.  Contact the museum at 706-724-3576 for information and ticket purchases.  Deadline for ticket purchases is Jan. 21.

Feb. 5 Wed., 12:30-1:30 p.m. – Brown Bag History Talk at Augusta Museum of History at 560 Reynolds St.:  “Slavery and Its Impact:  1840-1870” by Dr. Bobby Donaldson.  Description:  Dr. Donaldson is Associate Professor of History of the University of South Carolina.  Brown Bag will provide beverages beginning 11:30 a.m., patrons bring their own lunch.  Free to AMH members, $3 for non-members.  Reservations are not required.

Feb. 5 Wed., 6:00 p.m. – The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History will co-host the program “Before the Movement and After the Act:  Black Augusta Since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – A Community Forum” at the Laney Museum at 1116 Phillips St.  The event is co-hosted with The Department of History/Anthropology & Philosophy, Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences of Georgia Regents University.  Host will be Dr. Perzavia T. Praylow of GRU.  Panelists will include Dr. Charles E. Goodman of Tabernacle Baptist Church and members of the community.  For additional information, please contact Dr. Praylow via e-mail at ppraylow@gru.edu.

Feb. 16 Sun. – GRU Black Student Union Gospel Extravaganza, 3-6 p.m., Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre.

Feb. 17 Mon. – Buffalo Soldiers Day at Summerville campus.  See and hear re-enactors and find out information on those brave historic soldiers.  More details TBA.

Feb. 19 Wed. – Laney Museum Historian Awards Program, 5 p.m., at the museum at 1116 Phillips St.

Feb. 22 Sat., 11 a.m. at the downtown public library at 823 Telfair St., room B, 1st floor.  The library will feature a Black History Month program on Lucy Laney.  Speaker Dr. Kent Anderson Leslie will talk about her almost completed biography on Miss Laney and will note “little known facts about Miss Laney’s life and legacy.”

Feb. 24 Mon., 4-5 p.m.  The GRU Department of English and Foreign Languages and FLAIR will host a panel titled “Images and Memories of Africa” at GRU Summerville campus in Allgood Hall, room E-251.  It will be presented in English by Dr. Liana Babayan, GRU Assistant Professor of French, and Dr. Eronini Egbujor, Paine College Associate Professor of French/GRU Adjunct Instructor of French.  For more information, contact Jana Sandarg at jsandarg@gru.edu.

Feb. 27 Thurs. – GRU Reese Library will present a Black History Month program featuring Lucy Craft Laney.  Speaker will be Dr. Kent Anderson Leslie.  Time will be 2:00 p.m., location University Hall, Room 157.

Mar. 8 Sat. – Paine College Cemetery Tours at Cedar Grove, 120 Watkins St.  Walk through the historic cemetery and see and hear costumed speakers talk about the many famous heroes, sheroes and other remarkable inhabitants.  Hours TBA.

Mar. 22 Sat. – Laney Museum Black History Quiz Bowl.  Hours TBA

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Annual Concert of Holiday Music

Annual Concert of Holiday Music

Performed by the Augusta Collegium Musicum

The Augusta Museum of History is pleased to host the Augusta Collegium Musicum in the Annual Concert of Holiday Music featuring seasonal music from five centuries on Monday, December 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm in the Museum’s Rotunda.

Now in their twenty-fourth season, the Augusta Collegium Musicum is a superb a capella chamber choir under the direction of Mr. William F. Toole. Enjoy the wonderful sounds of this talented group as they sing music from five centuries, as well as old favorites. The singers, many of whom hold degrees in music, strive to make beautiful music with technical precision and excellence in performance.

Tickets are only $10 for Augusta Museum of History and Collegium members, or $15 for non-members. Light refreshments will be served immediately following the concert.

All proceeds to benefit the programs and preservations efforts of the Augusta Museum of History!

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Rules & Tools for Leaders and Medal of Honor Book Signing

Book signing open to the public on November 26, 2013

Augusta, Georgia 11/20/13) –On Tuesday, November 26 from 4:00 to 5:30 pm, authors Major General Perry M. Smith, U.S. Air Force (Retired) and Brigadier General Jeffrey W. Foley, U.S. Army (retired) are having a book signing for Rules & Tools for Leaders, 4th Edition and Medal of Honor, Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty-3rd edition. From developing your skills to running organizations of any size, Rules & Tools for Leaders offers practical advice for leaders at all levels.

The Medal of Honor is a group portrait of most of the living recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. The book has an entry for each recipient, including a photo portrait at the time of the award, a summary of the combat action and sometimes of the recipient’s later career. The expanded third edition, tells the stories of three of the recent recipients.

The book signing will be held at the Augusta Museum of History. Both books may be purchased at a deep discount.

General Smith is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds a Ph.D. in international relations from Columbia University. He has extensive experience as a motivational speaker and as a military analyst with both national and local media. General Foley is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds Masters Degrees in Computer Systems from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and National Security Policy from the National Defense University. He currently is a consultant and leadership development facilitator. General Foley is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds Masters Degrees in Computer Systems from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and National Security Policy from the National Defense University. He is also a motivational speaker and passionate about helping others grow as leaders. He recently established his own company focused entirely on this task — Loral Mountain Solutions.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment