Discovering Dave: Spirit Captured in Clay

The third program in the Heritage Council of North Augusta’s Black History Series will be on Tuesday, February 18th. Join us as we present “Discovering Dave: Spirit Captured in Clay.” The remarkable slave potter “Dave” is featured in this film by filmmaker Mark Albertin and George “Buddy” Wingard. It will be shown at 2nd Providence Baptist Church, located at 1202 Old Edgefield Road in North Augusta, at 7:00 p.m.

This program is free to the public; for more information, please call Brenda Baratto at 803-270-9400.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Black History Month Events

The following is a list of Black History Month events sponsored and/or hosted by local organizations:

GRU will use the national theme for Black History Month which is “The Golden Jubilee:  Celebrating 50 years after the Civil Rights Movement.”  Various local events, non-GRU as well as GRU, include the following:

– The downtown public library at 823 Telfair St. will host the “Witness to the Holocaust Traveling Exhibit” Jan. 24 through Feb. 7.  It features photos by WWII vet William Alexander Scott III, son of the founder of the first black-owned daily paper in Atlanta, the Atlanta Daily World.  Scott III was also a photographer in a segregated battalion of the U.S. Army during the war.  His photo essay “draws parallels between the Jim Crow Laws and the Nuremberg Race Laws of 1935-1945 implemented in Germany and Nazi-controlled areas of Europe.”

– The Maxwell Branch Library at 1927 Lumpkin Rd. will host a talk on Jan. 30 Mon., 6-7 p.m.  Dr. Angela Bratton of GRU will talk about “Africa:  Diverse Ways of Defining Family and Marriage.”

Feb. 1 Sat. – Laney Craft Laney Museum Heritage Gala will be held at the Marriott downtown, 6-10 p.m.  There will be dinner, live music and a silent auction.  Keynote speaker will be Zena Howard, who is experienced with working with libraries, museum and cultural facilities, public and private institutions, etc.  Tickets $75/person.  Contact the museum at 706-724-3576 for information and ticket purchases.  Deadline for ticket purchases is Jan. 21.

Feb. 5 Wed., 12:30-1:30 p.m. – Brown Bag History Talk at Augusta Museum of History at 560 Reynolds St.:  “Slavery and Its Impact:  1840-1870” by Dr. Bobby Donaldson.  Description:  Dr. Donaldson is Associate Professor of History of the University of South Carolina.  Brown Bag will provide beverages beginning 11:30 a.m., patrons bring their own lunch.  Free to AMH members, $3 for non-members.  Reservations are not required.

Feb. 5 Wed., 6:00 p.m. – The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History will co-host the program “Before the Movement and After the Act:  Black Augusta Since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – A Community Forum” at the Laney Museum at 1116 Phillips St.  The event is co-hosted with The Department of History/Anthropology & Philosophy, Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences of Georgia Regents University.  Host will be Dr. Perzavia T. Praylow of GRU.  Panelists will include Dr. Charles E. Goodman of Tabernacle Baptist Church and members of the community.  For additional information, please contact Dr. Praylow via e-mail at

Feb. 16 Sun. – GRU Black Student Union Gospel Extravaganza, 3-6 p.m., Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre.

Feb. 17 Mon. – Buffalo Soldiers Day at Summerville campus.  See and hear re-enactors and find out information on those brave historic soldiers.  More details TBA.

Feb. 19 Wed. – Laney Museum Historian Awards Program, 5 p.m., at the museum at 1116 Phillips St.

Feb. 22 Sat., 11 a.m. at the downtown public library at 823 Telfair St., room B, 1st floor.  The library will feature a Black History Month program on Lucy Laney.  Speaker Dr. Kent Anderson Leslie will talk about her almost completed biography on Miss Laney and will note “little known facts about Miss Laney’s life and legacy.”

Feb. 24 Mon., 4-5 p.m.  The GRU Department of English and Foreign Languages and FLAIR will host a panel titled “Images and Memories of Africa” at GRU Summerville campus in Allgood Hall, room E-251.  It will be presented in English by Dr. Liana Babayan, GRU Assistant Professor of French, and Dr. Eronini Egbujor, Paine College Associate Professor of French/GRU Adjunct Instructor of French.  For more information, contact Jana Sandarg at

Feb. 27 Thurs. – GRU Reese Library will present a Black History Month program featuring Lucy Craft Laney.  Speaker will be Dr. Kent Anderson Leslie.  Time will be 2:00 p.m., location University Hall, Room 157.

Mar. 8 Sat. – Paine College Cemetery Tours at Cedar Grove, 120 Watkins St.  Walk through the historic cemetery and see and hear costumed speakers talk about the many famous heroes, sheroes and other remarkable inhabitants.  Hours TBA.

Mar. 22 Sat. – Laney Museum Black History Quiz Bowl.  Hours TBA

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Annual Concert of Holiday Music

Annual Concert of Holiday Music

Performed by the Augusta Collegium Musicum

The Augusta Museum of History is pleased to host the Augusta Collegium Musicum in the Annual Concert of Holiday Music featuring seasonal music from five centuries on Monday, December 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm in the Museum’s Rotunda.

Now in their twenty-fourth season, the Augusta Collegium Musicum is a superb a capella chamber choir under the direction of Mr. William F. Toole. Enjoy the wonderful sounds of this talented group as they sing music from five centuries, as well as old favorites. The singers, many of whom hold degrees in music, strive to make beautiful music with technical precision and excellence in performance.

Tickets are only $10 for Augusta Museum of History and Collegium members, or $15 for non-members. Light refreshments will be served immediately following the concert.

All proceeds to benefit the programs and preservations efforts of the Augusta Museum of History!

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Rules & Tools for Leaders and Medal of Honor Book Signing

Book signing open to the public on November 26, 2013

Augusta, Georgia 11/20/13) –On Tuesday, November 26 from 4:00 to 5:30 pm, authors Major General Perry M. Smith, U.S. Air Force (Retired) and Brigadier General Jeffrey W. Foley, U.S. Army (retired) are having a book signing for Rules & Tools for Leaders, 4th Edition and Medal of Honor, Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty-3rd edition. From developing your skills to running organizations of any size, Rules & Tools for Leaders offers practical advice for leaders at all levels.

The Medal of Honor is a group portrait of most of the living recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. The book has an entry for each recipient, including a photo portrait at the time of the award, a summary of the combat action and sometimes of the recipient’s later career. The expanded third edition, tells the stories of three of the recent recipients.

The book signing will be held at the Augusta Museum of History. Both books may be purchased at a deep discount.

General Smith is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds a Ph.D. in international relations from Columbia University. He has extensive experience as a motivational speaker and as a military analyst with both national and local media. General Foley is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds Masters Degrees in Computer Systems from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and National Security Policy from the National Defense University. He currently is a consultant and leadership development facilitator. General Foley is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, holds Masters Degrees in Computer Systems from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and National Security Policy from the National Defense University. He is also a motivational speaker and passionate about helping others grow as leaders. He recently established his own company focused entirely on this task — Loral Mountain Solutions.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

The Lives of Enslaved Women

On November 23rd, 2013 Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site will present “The Lives of Enslaved Women” from 10 am to 5 pm. This one-day symposium is an intimate and unvarnished look at the lives of women enslaved on Southern plantations. Three main themes (Documenting Enslaved Women, Interpreting Enslaved Women and Remembering Enslaved Women) will be explored by various presenters throughout the day but discussion by audience members will be highly encouraged. The last session of the day will be an open-ended session where participants will be encouraged to share stories of their enslaved ancestress or their research on enslaved women.

The highlight of the event will be performances by renowned slave interpreters Kitty Wilson-Evans and BJ Caldwell at midday, followed by a discussion of the importance of accurately interpreting the lives of enslaved women. Additional special guests include author and genealogist Elvin Thompson (“The Blood Running Through My Veins”) and Redcliffe descendants.

There is a $35 admission fee which includes lunch & snacks, a special booklet created for the workshop, resources for researching and documenting the lives of enslaved women, and a free tour of Redcliffe Plantation SHS. Spots for this symposium are limited. Participants must register in advance. You can register for the event by calling 803-827-1473 or emailing Program details will be mailed or emailed at the beginning of November to registered participants.

For more information please contact Elizabeth Laney, Redcliffe Plantation Park Interpreter at 803-827-1473 or email A flyer and tentative schedule for the event are attached to this email.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Which Grandparent Are You Most Related to?

“Your family tree says you inherited 25 percent of your ancestry from each. Genetics says you didn’t.”

by Razib Khan

This is a very interesting article from the Slate that explains family genetics.


Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Native Peoples of the CSRA

This Saturday, November 2nd, join us for a very interesting program presented by Dr. Thomas Jennings and Dr. Ashley Smallwood about the Native Americans who lived in the Augusta area. Learn about the tribes, the sites and m-692work that is going on.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Spooky Tales!

It’s October… time for the Heritage Council of North Augusta’s Annual SPOOKY TALES!
Join us on Thursday, October 24th, at 7:00 p.m. at Lookaway Inn, located at 103 West Forest Avenue, North Augusta, when we present MR. WALKER POSEY of Posey Funeral Home as our featured speaker.

Admission is $5.00 per person; FREE for members of the Heritage Council of North Augusta. Join that evening and admission will be waived. Refreshments will be served.
This is a fundraising and membership event for the Heritage Council and is made possible by our sponsors, Lookaway Inn & Posey Funeral Home.

For more information, contact Brenda at 803-270-9400.

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Native American Symposium

November 1st from 5:00 – 6:30 pm

Free and Open to the Public: Held at the Augusta History Museum 2nd Floor Auditorium

Native American Symposium In Recognition of Native American Month

Speaking on the history of Southeastern Clovis Indians

Thomas Jennings and Dr. Ashley Smallwood from University of West Georgia

Source: Angela Bratton and the GRU Student Anthropology Society

Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment

Greenblatt Library exhibit


The Robert B. Greenblatt, M.D. Library is hosting the Every Necessary Care and Attention: George Washington and Medicine traveling exhibit from the National Library of Medicine. The exhibit will be on display on October 28-December 7, 2013.

This exhibit explores the story of George Washington’s own health and examines the ways in which he sought to safeguard the health and wellness of those under his care. Washington’s story illuminates the broader context of the experience of illness and the practice of medicine, which during this time was transitioning from a traditional healer craft to a profession.

This exhibit was developed and produced by the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, and George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate, Museum and Gardens.

The exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information, please go to


Posted in Georgia Heritage Room | Leave a comment